Wednesday, May 13, 2009

What are you here for?

What is your purpose? Do you have a mission statement? Are you on a mission from God?

As I listened to Fr. Carapi the other day on the local Catholic radio station, he asked these questions. He went further to talk about what your purpose should be. His point was that God put us all here for a purpose (similar to the theme of my Blog, I guess). However, he took it a bit further. Your purpose should be to become a Saint.

Thinking about that, I wonder what does it take to become a Saint? I'm not talking about playing for an NFL team in New Orleans, I'm talking a Saint! Well, most of us will probably never have our name listed in a Vatican Press Release, but it doesn't take that to be a Saint. To put it bluntly, when you die, you will either spend ETERNITY in Heaven as a Saint or... well, we all know the alternative. You may have to spend some time in Purgatory, but eventually all souls in Purgatory will make it to Heaven. 

So basically, we have a choice: You are here to become a Saint or You are here to go to hell. No third option. No "I'm better than that person". No "Well I don't really believe all that..." No "Why do I have to confess to a priest, God knows I'm sorry." If you have sinned mortally (a serious sin that you knew was wrong and yet did it anyway) and you have not confessed and repented of said sin, you will spend eternity not as a Saint, but being tormented in a place that I don't even want to imagine.

So with all decisions and daily actions, remember why God put you here - to become a Saint - and remember the consequence of not becoming a Saint... As Fr. Corapi says:
In the end, forever, you and I will be in Heaven or Hell. Period.

And now, I'm back to my mission of trying to become a Saint...


No comments:

Post a Comment