Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A Sower Went Out to Sow...

A sower went out to sow. And as he sowed, some seed fell on the path, and birds came and ate it up. Some fell on rocky ground, where it had little soil. It sprang up at once because the soil was not deep, and when the sun rose it was scorched, and it withered for lack of roots. Some seed fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked it. But some seed fell on rich soil, and produced fruit, a hundred or sixty or thirtyfold. Whoever has ears ought to hear.

Almost everyone has heard the parable of the sower and the seeds. One of our meetings recently talked about this parable and asked us to really look at how we APPLY the gospel to our lives. It was pointed out that many of us have aspects of each type of seed in different areas. Ask yourself the following questions:
  • Is there somethings we don't hear because Satan swipes them up or we intentionally don't apply because we like our sinful ways? Is there a sin we just can't give up? What about the sin that you confess EVERY time you go to confession?
  • Is there something that we are quick to stand up for, but then when we are challenged we quickly fade in our passion? Are we embarrassed of our faith? Did you brush off your ashes on Ash Wednesday before you went to work? Did you say something to a friend/family member/co-worker who was telling you about a view/action contrary to Church teaching?
  • Are there thorns around you? What things distract you from what you should be doing? When is the last time you sat in quiet prayer for an extended period of time?
  • Are there things you do well in? Things you are always strong about. Things you never back down on. Things that you don't let distractions get the better of you?
These are some of the questions that were asked in our meeting mixed with some of my own. I couldn't help but think, I've heard this parable at least 25 times in my life, and yet I never looked at it in this light. During lent, I plan to do my best to make sure that I do all that I can to have more of the seeds fall in good soil and less in the other areas. I plan to work on those sins that I repeatedly confess. I plan to stand strong against the pressures of society. I plan to avoid distractions as much as I can and really focus on prayer.

Before I close, I have a few thoughts on this last resolution. I find that going to Mass can be terribly distracting for me. I always feel the need to look around. It is a bad habit I've fallen into. So I will really focus on the altar for as much of Mass as I can. Additionally, I plan to take quiet time each morning. I know that while I have quiet time, I have a lot of thoughts race through my mind. So rather than try to fight these thoughts, I will take a journal with me and write them down to revisit them later.  Hopefully in doing this, I can have at least part of my prayer time be focused. With God's grace, this can be a very fruitful time in our spiritual year, and I hope that my plans come to fruition, so that when I come through this journey, I am a changed man.

No comments:

Post a Comment